omnithreads

Sai-Lai Lo S.Lo@orl.co.uk
Tue, 8 Jul 1997 15:56:36 +0100

> *****************************
> At the client end
> -----------------
> A thread calls on an operation of an object in a remote address space.
> This
> is routed to the proxy object in the local address space. Through the
> proxy
> object, the thread obtains *exclusive* access to a network connection,
> marshals in the arguments, sends off the request, and blocks waiting for
> the
> reply.  After the reply arrives and is unmarshalled, the thread
> *release*
> the network connection and the operation is completed. ....
> *****************************
> I can't see any derived class from omni_thread or any instantiation of
> omni_thread
> on the client side.
> Can anybody tell how a thread is created on client side?

On the client side, it is up to the application to create any threads it
needs. The application can use the omnithread library to create the threads
or to use the native thread APIs to do so. Using omnithread library ensures
that your source code can be compiled unchanged on all the supported platforms.

Regards,

Sai-Lai Lo

--
E-mail:         S.Lo@orl.co.uk          |       Olivetti & Oracle Research Lab
                                        |       24a Trumpington Street
Tel:            +44 223 343000          |       Cambridge CB2 1QA
Fax:            +44 223 313542          |       ENGLAND