Solaris omniORB, GNU g++, JavaIDL

Thomas Wenger wenger@iam.unibe.ch
Wed, 2 Jul 1997 11:43:17 +0200

Hello "omniORBers"

I recently posted several questions concerning:
  1. How to build omniORB with GNU g++ under Solaris
  2. How to interconnect JavaIDL ORB to omniORB and omniNames

Here are my experiences made up to this day:

1. How to build omniORB with GNU g++ under Solaris

First problem was an old installation of Solaris.
To build omniORB under Solaris you need Solaris 2.5 or later.

Second problem was adapting makefiles and source to compile with GNU g++.
I got the needed hints from ORL directly.
Now omniORB compiles with GNU but you have to forget about using shared libraries. But static ones work.

One problem that still persists, is that omniNames can not check the logfiles. There seems to be a problem with file handles, beacause I get some dead .nfsxxxx files in the log directory. This does not happen when compiling with Sun CC.

The output of GNU compiled omniNames is:

  Wed Jul  2 11:00:52 1997:

  Checkpointing Phase 1: Prepare.
  I/O error writing checkpoint file: Bad file number
  Abandoning checkpoint

2. How to interconnect JavaIDL ORB to omniORB and omniNames

Running JavaIDL (Early Access EA) is no problem. But to connect Java programs to C++ programs using omniORB and omniNames seems to be impossible up to now.

I can interconnect the two ORBs when using stringified IOR with copy/paste.

I added the missing line [#pragma prefix "org.omg"] to the Naming.idl of omniNames, to be compliant with JavaIDL naming. But I can not use omniNames from Java as initial Name Server.

So does anybody know how to get a reference to omniNames in JavaIDL without having to copy/paste a stringified IOR?

Conclusion:
===========

I do like CORBA and i do like omniORB. Especially the support directly from ORL or by the users works quite fast and always gave me the needed answers.

So omniORB is a strong, fast and free CORBA ORB that is more than an alternative to commercial ORBs.

I think I will use omniORB with JavaIDL in my diploma work.
If anyone has remarks, hints, examples, links or so, I would like to here from you.

Thanks to everyone that lent me his time
  TOM

Thomas Wenger                                 wenger@iam.unibe.ch
University: Institute of Computer Science and
            Applied Mathematics (IAM), Office 205
            Neubrueckstr. 10,  CH-3012 Bern      +41 31 631 49 90
Private:    Wydacherstrasse 4, CH-3113 Rubigen   +41 31 721 41 18