[Announcement] omniORB2 - snapshot_971224

Sai-Lai Lo S.Lo@orl.co.uk
Wed, 24 Dec 1997 15:26:30 GMT

Greetings!

A new snapshot is now available for download at:

   http://www.orl.co.uk/omniORB/snapshots/snapshot_971224.tar.gz (600K)
or
   http://www.orl.co.uk/omniORB/snapshots/snapshot_971224.zip (1M)

The release notes for this snapshot is available at

     http://www.orl.co.uk/omniORB/snapshots/ReleaseNote_971224.txt

IMPORTANT NOTE:
   The naming service now uses the prefix pragma "omg.org". This is
   introduced to bring our environment in line with the clarifications
   in the CORBA specification. Unfortunately, this results in on-the-wire
   incompatibility with clients that are linked with the old library, i.e.
   any programs linked before this version is released. Please read the
   release notes for details.

Summary of changes since snapshot_971120:

1. The Naming service now uses the prefix pragma "omg.org" in its IDL.

2. Support for egcs-1.0 with Redhat-5.0.

   Both x86 Redhat-5.0 and alpha Redhat-5.0 are supported.
   Notice that the unpatched egcs-1.0 does not have thread-safe exception
   handling. You *MUST* apply the thread-safe EH patch for it to work
   properly with omniORB2.

   I've left my binaries for x86 Redhat linux 5.0 and alpha Redhat linux
   5.0 in:
      ftp.orl.co.uk:/pub/linux/egcs-1.0.alphabin.tgz  (4M) and
      ftp.orl.co.uk:/pub/linux/egcs-1.0.x86bin.tgz    (4M)

   The diff against the unpatched egcs-1.0 is in:

      ftp.orl.co.uk:/pub/linux/egcs-1.0-thread-safe-eh.diff (60K)

   Please read the notes in the diff file for further instructions.

3. New hook for plugging in access control policy modules to determine
   whether to accept new client connections.
   Unix platforms use host-based access control based on tcp_wrapper_7.6.
   Win32 remains unchanged, i.e. all incomings are accepted.

4. The port to HPUX with aC++ (B3910B A.01.04) is now completed (thanks to
   Hugo Vandeputte and Marcel Ruff).

5. Working LifeCycle service support.

6. Fixes to bugs uncovered since snapshot_971120.

More details of these changes are documented in the release notes.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Sai-Lai

P.S. I'll be off-line till the 5th Jan.