[omniORB-dev] omniORB contribution CMake

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Thu Aug 23 11:09:52 BST 2018

On Wed, 2018-08-22 at 14:10 +0200, Julian Scholle via omniORB-dev
wrote:

> i've been working on porting OmniORB to cmake lately.
>
> https://github.com/CaeruleusAqua/omniORB-cmake
>
> I have tested it on Linux (Arch Linux) and Windows 10, but some more
> polishing may be necessary.
> I tried to keep the code changes to a minimum, so the old buildsystem
> should still work.

Thanks, and sorry for not getting around to replying to the email you
sent directly to me.

Can you explain why you have done this?  What significant advantage
does it provide?  The current omniORB build scheme has a lot of
historical baggage, and is unnecessarily complex, but it does generally
work ok, and I think it's quite easy to build on most platforms.

The last thing I want to do is add a second parallel build system next
the the current one. That just doubles the work required to change
anything, and doubles the testing effort for any changes. If the build
system is going to be replaced, it needs to be totally replaced, not
given a second parallel option.