[omniORB-dev] C++ include guards, continued

Austin Bingham abingham at arlut.utexas.edu
Tue Apr 17 11:36:32 BST 2007

After some poking around, I've been able to modify the C++ backend to
accept an include guard prefix. In effect, where the generated header used
to say:

   #ifndef __<filename>_hh__

it now says:

   #ifndef <guard-prefix>__<filename>_hh__

I've made an analogous change to the EXTERNAL_GUARD macro, since it
suffers from the same deficiency.

So my first question is: Are any other places that might
benefit from a change like this? I see an include guard in the
interface_Helper template, but I'm not entirely sure what that it used
for. I'll be happy to add guard-prefix support for that if needed.

Next, would you rather use something other than or along with a simple
prefix string? We could add a suffix, or perhaps there is some other
alternative I haven't considered.

Finally, how should I get these changes submitted? Should I just send a
patch to someone? I'm working against the omni4_0_develop branch.

I'd also like to add that, at least for the code I had to deal with,
omniidl's code was a joy to work with. It was easy to navigate, clear, and
comprehensible. This is not standard fare for open-source (or, really,
any) software, so good job!

--
Austin Bingham

Signal & Information Sciences Laboratory
Applied Research Laboratories, University of Texas at Austin
10000 Burnet Rd., Austin, TX 78758

email:  abingham at arlut.utexas.edu
cell:   (512) 799-2444
office: (512) 835-3832