[omniORB-dev] omni4_1_develop Build Patch

Gary Duzan gduzan at bbn.com
Fri Feb 27 07:44:02 GMT 2004

In Message <200402271150.i1RBoAj03145 at grisby.dyndns.org> ,
   Duncan Grisby <duncan at grisby.org> wrote:

=>On Friday 20 February, Gary Duzan wrote:
=>
=>>    Ok. I mostly wanted to see if the latest stuff would parse CORBA 3
=>> constructs like "component", so I just grabbed the newest looking
=>> label.
=>
=>As you've probably found by now, it doesn't support component and
=>friends. Do you think support for CCM would be useful?  To my mind, it
=>has some useful things in it, but it's way too complex and awkward to
=>use. Either way, 4.1 won't have any CCM stuff in it, but it should
=>have the features required to implement CCM on top of it.

   I'm working on a project now which is using CCM, and thought it would
be useful to be able to do testing from Python. As things go forward
I might look into getting omniidl to recognise the component bits and
emit code for the equivalent IDL; we'll see. I imagine it wouldn't
be terribly difficult. Unfortunately, some of our collaborators have
designed a truly hideous interface style which involves valuetypes with
operations on them, despite my objections, so it may be impossible to
deal with from Python altogether, at least until I can convince them of
the error of their ways. :-/

   BTW, I think the people building the CCM infrastructure we are using
would agree with your assessment, but it seems to be politically expedient
that we move forward with it, so we are stuck with it.

					Gary Duzan
					BBN Technologies
					A Verizon Company