[omniORB-dev] ImR idl proposal

Thomas Lockhart lockhart@fourpalms.org
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 12:13:33 -0800

> Attached is some IDL I've written which covers what I believe has been
> discussed as capabilities of the portable ImR for use with omniORB. I've
> verified it compiles, but haven't implemented anything yet.  I'm putting
> this out for comment.

OK, here are some comments :)

1) The IDL is for a "portable implementation repository". How about
naming the module "ImplRepo" or ?? rather than "omniImR" which sounds
rather specific to omniORB?

2) There are interfaces for several features including load monitoring
etc which are not fundamental to the operation of an ImR. We should
separate those out into separate IDL files to allow minimalist ORB
implementations to ignore those interfaces. And perhaps to allow us to
ignore them for our first implementation ;)

3) Programs, processes, POAs, and objects need to be kept straight. I'm
not sure that the distinction between "program" and "process" is
necessary, and "object" does not really appear in the IDL but matching
clients to server *objects* is my simplistic view of what the ImR does.
H&V use "server application" and "object"; "POA" is mentioned too. I'd
suggest using H&V (specifically chapter 14) for guidance on terminology.

4) I like the idea of allowing one "server application" to host multiple
"objects", so the extra layers in the IDL to support this is worth the
effort.

More comments later...

                 - Tom