[omniORB-dev] Implementation Repository

Thomas Lockhart lockhart@fourpalms.org
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 15:20:20 -0800

> I intend to keep the core parts of omniORB -- i.e. the ORB libraries,
> the IDL compiler, omniNames -- free of STL. There are plenty of users
> for whom STL is not an option, either because it's not available at
> all, or because it conflicts with aspects of their application code.
> STL also has a bad impact on code size, and there are few (practical)
> guarantees about things like thread safety or efficiency.

Thanks for the clarification and guidelines.

> Non-core parts, like an added ImR, are a different matter. If the
> authors of those parts want to make a different trade-off, and use
> STL, that's fine by me. Just be prepared for the portability
> issues... :-)

That's great!

My point was that *if* the code has a shot at running on some platforms,
then motivated folks can contribute to the code by making sure it runs
on more platforms. But that can't happen (easily) until it is in CVS
somewhere. Since you are open to the possibility of having this app have
some STL, then it isn't a barrier to getting it into CVS anyway.

                    - Tom