[omniORB-dev] SCons, was re: I Want to Port OmniORB to NetBSD

Duncan Grisby duncan@grisby.org
Wed, 09 Apr 2003 22:35:35 +0100

On Wednesday 9 April, "Kevin Wooten" wrote:

> Forgive my lack of knowledge on autoconf, but I thought autoconf was
> reasonably tied to automake; I guess this proves it's high time I had
> more than just off handed knowledge of it.

automake depends on autoconf, but not vice-versa. omniORB doesn't use
automake. I looked into it when I did the autoconf support, but
automake doesn't cope with things like building tools early in the
build and using them later. We need to do that for omniidl.

The other part of the autotools suite is libtool which is meant to
make building libraries easy. It's a gigantic hairy shell script, and
it doesn't cope at all well with C++.

If you value your sanity, I wouldn't bother looking too hard at the
autotools...

  -- duncan@grisby.org     --
   -- http://www.grisby.org --