[omniNotify] Priority OrderPolicy

Ronan Heffernan ronansan at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 11:43:55 BST 2005

Working with omniNotify 2.1 (x86), I notice the following behaivor: default
OrderPolicy is FIFO (agrees with code), but when I change the OrderPolicy on
a ProxyPushSupplier to 'Priority', the Priority is honored correctly, but
within a set of messages with the same Priority, the order of the messages
seems to be LIFO. Is this behavior widely known? As I understand the
Notification spec, LIFO-within-Priority is perfectly compliant, but for a
certain project, I need FIFO-within-Priority (or at least approximately FIFO
within Priority, the LIFO inversion is definitely a problem for me).

I am considering making this change myself (in the queue insert method, it
seems). Should I contribute this code change back into omniNotify? Who needs
to decide whether such a patch should go into the codebase? I will probably
enclose this change in #ifdef - #endif blocks if I can keep it clean, is
that how it should be wrapped for public use? Does anyone have any tips
before I do this? Thanks.

--ronan