[omniNotify] Using omniNotify without creating endpoints

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Tue May 18 16:54:55 BST 2004

On Friday 14 May, Mark Zimmerman wrote:

> I have a small program that does nothing but post a single message to
> the omniNotify notification channel (from a push_supplier) and exit.
> It works fine with a default configuration but I am trying to
> understand why it insists on creating and serving incoming endpoints.
> Unless I misunderstand the meaning of an incoming endpoint, it seems
> to me that it doesn't need one.
>
> However, when I include 'endPointNoListen = giop:tcp::' in the
> configuration, it fails:

That doesn't do what you think it does. endPointNoListen asks the ORB
to publish the given endpoint in IORs, without listening on it. For
that to work, you have to give the full details of the endpoint, since
there is no real endpoint to get the details from. Anyway, it's not a
way to stop your program from listening.

[...]
> With endPointNoListen excluded, the program works but the endpoints
> are never used (I think). I have set 'serverTransportRule = * none'
> which, I believe, will prevent them from accepting connections.
>
> Is there something in omniNotify that requires endpoint creation in
> this context? Is there a way to avoid this?

The incoming endpoints are initialised when you resolve the root POA
(or get a reference to the BOA). If the code doesn't every get hold of
the POA, the endpoints are not initialised. Something in your code, or
a library you are using (are you linking with omniNotify?) must be
resolving the root POA.