[omniNotify] omniorb 4.0 error

Tom MacDonald tmacd at eintelligence-inc.com
Tue Sep 2 13:45:32 BST 2003

I'm using, omniorb 4.0 built with g++ 3.2.2 and the server part
of the client/server is running on red hat linux.

While starting up the server I get the following message:

 Unable to create an endpoint of this description: giop:tcp:prodlinux:12721
 SystemException::INITIALIZE

but only when I start the server up a 2nd time.  If I reboot the
system, I can start up the server just fine.  If I then try to restart
the server I get the above message.

The C++ code that causes this to happen is:

    CORBA::ORB_var orb = CORBA::ORB_init(argc, argv, "omniORB4");
    if (verbose) {
      std::cout << "+Initialization of 'CORBA::ORB_var' complete."
                << std::endl;
    }

    // create the BOA, the BOA will use the properties object
    CORBA::BOA_var boa = orb->BOA_init(argc, argv, "omniORB4_BOA");
    if (verbose) {
      std::cout << "+Initialization of 'CORBA::BOA_var' complete."
                << std::endl;
    }

The first 'verbose' message prints just fine.  The second 'verbose'
message never prints.  So, it must be the call to "orb->BOA_init"
that is causing the SystemException to be raised.

Intersting argv parameters are:

  -ORBendPoint giop:tcp:prodlinux:12721
  -ORBsupportBootstrapAgent 1
  -ORBInitRef NameService=corbaloc::prodlinux:12720/NameService

Is this indicating a problem with port 12721 or maybe 12720?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer.