[omniNotify] omniNotify for Windows platforms

Robert E. Gruber gruber@research.att.com
Mon Feb 24 18:55:02 2003

You can of course write clients that run on Windows, it is
only the daemon (notifd) that requires some porting effort.
I would love to do the port but I do not have time.
My standard suggestion is to run notifd on a linux box
and your clients on Windows.

I suspect the hard part about porting would be changing the
make files to get all the debug/nondebug DLL stuff working
correctly.  (I have not had time to convert omniNotify
to use the newer autoconf approach introduced for omniORB 4,
and really it makes the most sense to do a Windows port
after doing that conversion, to take advantage of what
autoconf gives you.)

In terms of actual code changes, I doubt there
would be too many.  There would some include
fixes, and maybe a couple cases where a unix-only
system call is used.

-- Bob