[omniNotify] omniNotify Performance Tuning Question

Cameron Rochester Cameron.Rochester at Ripple-Systems.com
Wed Aug 6 09:27:20 BST 2003

Patrick,

How many consumers are connected to the notification service? What is the
complexity of the filters that you have in place?

I have found with testing that performance drops off considerably as
consumers increase (it is much worse than a linear degradation). However,
evaluating more complex filters and having less consumers is actually a lot
faster. Our system used to have multiple connections to the notification
service from the same client. I changed the approach and reduced the number
of connections while increasing the filter complexity and found performance
to be much better while reducing load on the service.

Having said that, I never saw the kind of lag that you are experiencing.
Running the service on a (relatively) slow dual processor solaris box (2 x
400MHz, 512Mb RAM) and sending/receiving events from a seperate windows
client (P4 2.4G, 512Mb RAM) the notification service would still manage
approx 10 events/sec with 1700 unique subscribers. The faster approach was
to create a filter with a constraint expression seq with 1700 individual
constraints (but only one connection) and then perform simple filtering on
the client side to ensure the correct subscriber receives the correct event.
With this approach the notification service sustains ~500 events/sec with
1700 subscribed types. With 1-2 subscribed types it would manage upwards of
600 events/sec.

So, the service should be able to handle significantly more than 15-20
events minute, but we probably need a bit more information regarding the way
in which you are consuming events.

Cheers
Cameron Rochester