[omniNotify] Development Status

Robert E. Gruber gruber@research.att.com
Thu Oct 10 15:49:00 2002

Yes, reliability and persistence are two things that
I would love to work on.  I almost put them  down
except I wanted to stick to things I know I can get
done in 2002.

The other thing I did not put down is performance
improvements.  With omniORB4 there are some very
interesting things one could do.  (I think omniNotify
is already fast compared to some other notification
services, but making it even faster would be fun.)

Some obvious approaches to event persistence are:
  1. use the file system
  2. use an open source DB directly
  3. drive any DB using an open source ODBC driver

I suspect these options are ordered from fastest
to slowest (but least to most flexible),
but I would have to do experiments to find out.

Work on this is not happening soon, I'm afraid,
unless someone else does it.

-- Bob