[omniNotify] Development Status

Robert E. Gruber gruber@research.att.com
Thu Oct 10 15:20:00 2002

Unfortunately, I have a lot less time for omniNotify development
than I used to.  Perhaps I've been somewhat in denial about this
which is why I haven't mentioned it earlier.

This means any major new features will not
happen without outside help.  Below are the things I still plan
to do this year myself (although I do ask for autoconf help :->)...

The official omniNotify 2.0 release will be just like the
current 2.0.ALPHA release (plus the small
fix recently requested by Janet), except I think it would be
good to get autoconf support working.   Right now you need
to use the older omniORB build scheme.

Is there anyone out there with autoconf expertise willing
to do this part of the project for me?  I am really pressed
for time at the moment.

The next step, for omniNotify 2.1, is to do a
Windows NT/2000 port.

As others have pointed out recently,
you can run the notification daemon, notifd,
on a linux/other box and run all of the suppliers
and consumers that you like on Windows boxen, so it is
not a total loss for Windows folks that there is no Windows
port yet for the notification daemon.  Of course
some people want to run everything on one machine, so
a port would be nice.

I cannot give a time frame for this port
as my other work keeps piling up,
and I have to take care of that first.
It looks like I will have time to work
on this in December.  If I start working on it sooner
than that I will send out another
note indicating when I expect to get something out.

-- Bob